Darren Barnet is an American actor best known for his work in Netflix’s teen comedy series, Never Have I Ever (2020).
Darren Barnet was born as ‘Darren Charles Barnet’ on Saturday, 27 April 1991 (age 29 years; as in 2020) in Los Angeles, California. His zodiac sign is Aries.
At the age of 12, he relocated to the suburbs of Orlando, Florida. He did his schooling from Dr. Phillips High School, Orlando, where he was also the school’s lacrosse team captain. He won a full academic scholarship at Berry College, Georgia, and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in International Studies and Communication in 2013. After his graduation, he relocated to Los Angeles to pursue his career in acting. There, he started working as a bike attendant and front desk associate for SoulCycle – a cult-followed indoor cycling class center in Sunset Boulevard. From 2016 to 2017, he studied at Ivana Chubbuck Acting Studios Hollywood, Los Angeles to pursue a course in Advanced Acting and Chubbuck Technique.
Height (approx.): 5’ 10”
Eye Colour: Honey Brown
Hair Colour: Brown
Family & Ethnicity
His mother is Japanese and Swedish, and he is Cherokee Indian and German from his father, Charles Daly Barnet Jr.’s side. Both his parents were actors in their 20s. His father was also a musician. He has a younger sister named Emily Breidy, and an elder sister named Jennifer Barnet.
He was in a relationship with a television producer named Cassie Maynard from December 2014 to January 2017.
While studying at Berry College, he used to act in plays and short films and also began making films. In 2017, he made his acting debut with the role of ‘Young Jack’ in the television show, This Is Us.
He also acted in the television shows- S.W.A.T (2017) and Criminal Minds (2017). In 2018, he appeared as ‘Hot Seth’ in the Facebook Watch series, Turnt. He made his breakthrough with the series, Never Have I Ever (2020) in which he played the lead role of ‘Paxton Hall-Yoshida,’ the love interest of Devi, played by Maitreyi Ramakrishnan.
He also has a lead role in the series, Americal Pie Presents: Girl’s Rules (2020). He is also a music composer and writer and writes music under the pen name ‘Charlie Sound.’
- Sports: Basketball, Lacrosse, Boxing
- Alcoholic Beverage: Reserva de la Familia
- TV Shows: Stranger Things, Altered Carbon, Peaky Blinders
- Director(s): David Fincher, Martin Scorsese
- He likes watching movies, gymming, travelling, and playing sports.
- Since the age of five, Darren wanted to be an actor.
- Since May 2015, he owns a Los Angeles real estate licence.
- He is a multilingual as he knows conversational Spanish and has also learned Japanese and French.
- His grandfather, Charlie Barnet was a veteran American saxophonist.
- He grew up writing poetry, which naturally transitioned to writing lyrics.
- He initially wanted to become a journalist as his mother was a journalist.
- Darren had no life outside of academics and sports in his high school days. In an interview, he said,
My mom, a single parent who, at the time, was very low-income said I had to go to a better school. I took a test to get into a school across town and was admitted into a magnet program. I had to take three college classes a semester. I had to keep a 3.5 GPA to stay. I never went to one party, never had a sip of alcohol. Honestly, I had no life outside of academia and sports because my mom told me, “We can’t afford college, but you have to go. So, wherever you go, you have to get a full ride.” So, that was the pressure on me.”
- The 2018 film “Glass,” which was written by Darren, became one of the semi-finalists at Burbank International Film Festival.
- He is often seen sipping alcohol with his friends and family.