Online tutoring may be the best solution for you if you want to learn English as a second language or improve your language skills. But finding the best online language tutor can be challenging as there are thousands of online platforms and millions of online tutors.
Knowing the benefits of learning languages online, where to find a professional tutor, and the characteristics of quality tutors will help you make the right choice.
Here’s how to find the perfect online language tutor for your language needs:
Online English tutoring is not only the modern way to learn a foreign language, but it is also incredibly beneficial. The most important benefits include:
- You do not need to reside in an English-speaking country.
- You have the opportunity to pay less than private lessons in person.
- You don’t have to travel and neither does the teacher, which will save you time and money.
- You have the option to choose video-based or audio-only calls, depending on how you feel as a beginner or an advanced student.
- You can use different online tools such as translators or dictionaries while chatting.
Now that you know why having an online language teacher is a good idea, let’s find the best one for your needs.
Just because there are so many online language learning platforms today doesn’t mean they all have great language tutors. That’s why it’s essential to know where to look online for your perfect English tutor.
Some of the best language tutoring websites are LiveXP, Preply, and Italki. These platforms are known as the best of their kind because they have excellent teachers who can help you learn English and any other language effectively and quickly.
A good teacher is aware of the learning process of the brain. It means that they will use the right techniques, give you valuable advice and expect realistic results from your language learning process.
- They know that learning all the new vocabulary is impossible and they won’t make you feel bad about it.
- They connect with you to find out which learning method is best for you.
- They know that learning through associations, jokes, mnemonics, and patterns is effective.
- They reduce the amount of homework if they notice you are exhausted, and even encourage you to take a break, as this is important for effective language learning.
- They really love the language they are teaching. They demonstrate this by talking about comedians, musicians, poets, or authors, and they know a wide range of idioms and sayings.
- They are enthusiastic about teaching the language and can’t wait to share their knowledge with you.
When choosing a tutor to help you learn English online, be sure to consider the following factors:
- If you want to learn American English, choose an American tutor, not an Australian or British one
- If you feel more comfortable talking to a man or a woman, choose a tutor of the preferred gender
- Calculate how much you want to spend on a tutor and find out how much they charge
- Make sure they have sufficient experience and/or relevant education and certifications
- Read their reviews to find out if they are effective.
- See if they offer sample classes, as that can help you determine if they are a good match
Once you find a potential teacher, ask them the following questions to see if they like their teaching style:
Ideally, you want a tutor who focuses on pronunciation and speaking with things like reading aloud, pronunciation exercises, and asking you to do prepared or unexpected monologues.
Grammar and writing should also be included in your learning process, but preferably outside of your tutoring time. Your online English teacher must correct your homework before he starts the lesson and review it within the first five minutes.
The best online language tutor can explain any grammar concept so that you can easily understand it. It means that you shouldn’t book a lesson with the first native English speaker you find on a language learning platform. However, it may not be as crucial if you just want to practice the conversation.