Lakshya Sen is an Indian badminton player who is famous for being the youngest player to qualify for the 2022 All England Open.
Lakshya Sen was born on Thursday, 16 August 2001 (age 22; in 2023) in Almora, Uttarakhand. His zodiac sign is Leo. He attended Beersheba Senior Secondary School, Haldwani, Uttarakhand. Later, he got admission in Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy, Bengaluru.
Height (approx): 5′ 10″
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Body Measurements (approx): Chest: 40 Inches, Waist: 32 Inches, Biceps: 12 Inches
Parents & Siblings
Lakshya’s father’s name is Dhirendra K Sen, who is a badminton coach. His mother’s name is Nirmala Dhirendra Sen, and she is a teacher. He has an elder brother, Chirag Sen, who is an International Badminton Player.
Lakshya is a right-hander who played his debut in 2016 in the Asian Junior Badminton Championship held in Bangkok, Thailand. He participated in the Junior World Championships, and he also competed at the senior international level. In 2017, he participated in the BWF World Junior and Vietnam Open. In 2018, he became the champion at the 2018 Asian Junior Championships. Sen participated in the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics. In 2019, he won the Dutch Open. In November 2019, he won the SaarLorLux Open. In 2020, he reached the second round of the 2020 All England Open. In December 2021, he reached the semi-finals of the World Championship. In 2022, he reached the All England Open. He won gold in the men’s singles at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
At the Canadian Open final held on 9 July 2023, he clinched his second BWF Super 500 title by defeating China’s Li Shi Feng in a decisive victory without dropping a game.
- He won a bronze medal at the Asian Junior Championships in 2016.
- He won the men’s singles title at the India International Series.
- In February 2017, he was ranked the number one junior singles player in the BWF World Junior ranking.
- In 2018, he won a bronze medal at the Junior World Championships.
- In 2018, he won gold medals at the 2018 Asian Junior Championships in men’s singles and at the Summer Youth Olympics in the mixed team event.
- In 2019, he won the men’s singles at the Dutch Open.
- In November 2019, he won the SaarLorLux Open.
- In November 2019, he won the men’s singles title in the 2019 Scottish Open.
- In 2020, he was a member of the Indian team that won the 2020 Asian Badminton Team Championship.
- In December 2021, he won a bronze medal at the World Championships.
- In 2022, he reached the final of the 2022 All England Open.
- He won gold in the men’s singles at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
The Bengaluru police booked him on December 1, 2022 after the badminton academy owner accused him of lying about his age. In addition, the local court ordered the police to investigate Lakshya Sen’s allegations. The FIR also names Lakshya Sen’s coach Vimal Kumar, father Dhirendra Sen, brother Chirag Sen, and mother Nirmala Sen. Nagaraja MG alleged that Sen’s coach colluded with Sen’s parents in 2010 to produce a birth certificate so that he could participate in age-restricted tournaments. Nagaraja claimed Sen was born in 1998, but records show he was born in 2001.
- Besides playing badminton, he also likes to travel.
- When Lakshya was ten years old, he went to the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy (PPBA) with his brother Chirag to take admission in the academy. In an interview, Lakshya’s father spoke about how he got admission in the academy and said,
In 2010 he was 9-9.5 years old and there was a tournament for Under 13 age group category in Bangalore and we went there to participate in it. Since he was little I thought he would not qualify but I asked Vimal sir and he was very impressed with him. It is during the final stages when progress actually occurs. His brother, who also participated won the tournament so Prakash sir interacted with us and offered to help.”
- One of the media houses published a picture of Lakshya when he won the tournament in Singapore in 2011.
- When Lakshya was twelve years old, he gave an interview in which he said that he wanted to play in the Olympics when he matured.
- In 2014, he used to practice Badminton with Saina Nehwal who had moved to Bangalore and joined the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy, Bengaluru. In an interview, Vimal Kumar, Lakshya’s coach revealed that Lakshya was the only student in the academy who could match Saina’s energy during training sessions.
- In 2018, she posted a picture on Instagram where Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated her for winning the Youth Olympics.
- In August 2021, he suffered a stomach infection which caused him to lose the first round selection test and was not selected for the Indian badminton team.
- On 19 March 2022, after she won the silver medal in the 2022 All England Badminton Championships, she became the fifth Indian after Prakash Nath (1947), Prakash Padukone (1980, 1981), Pullela Gopichand (2001), and Saina Nehwal (2015) to reach the final. In tweets, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Gandhi and Member of Parliament for Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, Anurag Thakur appreciated his game on Twitter. He is training with Viktor Axelsen in Dubai ahead of the 2022 All England Badminton Championships.
Proud of you @lakshya_sen! You have shown incredible perseverance and tenacity. You give a passionate fight. Best wishes for your future endeavours. I am confident that you will continue to rise to new levels of success.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 20, 2022
- Reportedly, Lakshya used to feel bad and upset after losing a match when he was a child. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
Compared to when I was a junior, I was more patient. Try to collect more. I need to improve on this for sure, but there is a lot more to learn, but from then to now, it is the difference in my game. That I’m working on playing better shots from behind, not just going all out with smashes… trying to build points. On the senior circuit, everyone is fit and the shuttle keeps coming back. You have to play long rallies, long matches. Prepared for that, I have improved my fitness.”
- She is a passionate animal lover and often posts their pictures on social media.
- In 2022, he was featured in Forbes India’s 30 Under 30.