Mandakini is an Indian actress and spiritual guide who gained huge popularity with her debut Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985).
Mandakini aka Yasmeen/Yasmin Joseph was born on Tuesday, 30 July 1963 (age 59 years; in 2022) in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Leo.
Height (approx): 5′ 5″
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel Blue
Mandakini was born into an Anglo-Indian family. He was born to a British father and a Kashmiri mother.
Parents & Siblings
His mother’s name is Munni Joseph. He has two brothers named Bhanu Joseph and Rustom Joseph. Bhanu is married to Gulshan Grover’s ex-wife Filomina. Mandakini’s younger sister, Chhoti, has down syndrome. He has a younger sister named Parveen Khan, who is from his mother’s first marriage.
Husband & Son
In 1990, she married Indian Kagyur doctor T. Rinpoche Thakur, who was featured as a child model in Murphy’s radio commercials.
The couple has a son named Rabbil Joseph, and a daughter named Rabze Inaaya.
In 1995, he made headlines when he was spotted with Indian mafia gangster Dawood Ibrahim. Both were spotted at a cricket stadium in Dubai. According to media sources, she had an affair with him, and several news outlets claimed that she had a child with Dawood. Later, Mandakini denied all the rumours. In an interview, in 2005, when he was asked about Dawood, he said,
How long will my name continue to be associated with Dawood. I have also said earlier that I never had an affair with Dawood. 10 years ago my picture came with Dawood, then I often went abroad for shows. When I was performing in Dubai, then Dawood came and we met. I’m like any other filmmaker. There is no such thing as an affair between us. A photograph published in a newspaper in 1994-95 affected my career. It is said that I am married to Dawood and I have a child with him. While I was married to a Mumbai based doctor, R Thakur and I had a child with him. We got married in 1990.”
Mandakini follows Buddhism.
Mandakini started her career as a model and appeared in various print shoots.
She has also worked as a model for many photo shoots.
At the age of 22, she was noticed by the famous Indian actor-director Raj Kapoor, who offered her the lead role in the Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985) opposite his youngest son Rajiv Kapoor. Mandakini played the role of Ganga in the film and gained immense popularity with her role in the film.
In 1986, she made her Telugu debut with the film ‘Simhasanam’ in which she played the role of Visha Kanya.
In 1987, he appeared in another Telugu film ‘Bhargava Ramudu.’ In 1986, he sang a song for the music album ‘Dancing City’ released by Indian musician Bappi Lahiri. Originally, Indian singer Nazia Hassan recorded the songs, but after a falling out between Bappi and Nazia, Bappi Lahiri signed Mandakini.
He has appeared in many Hindi films such as ‘Aag Aur Shola’ (1986), ‘Pyaar Karke Dekho’ (1987), ‘Pyaar Mohabbat’ (1988), ‘Hisaab Khoon Ka’ (1989), and ‘Taqdeer Ka Tamasha’ (1990).
In 1990, she made her Bengali debut with the film ‘Andha Bichar’ as Lakshmi. Her other Bengali film was ‘Antarer Bhalobasha’ (1991) in which she played the role of Jhilik.
In 1990, he started the film production banner ‘AMA Productions’ with his secretary Ajit Dewan and actor Aditya Pancholi. The name of the production comes from the first letter of their name. Later, after a dispute with his business partner, Mandakini left the production house. In 1996, she appeared in the Hindi film ‘Zordaar,’ and after that, she quit the Hindi film industry.
In June 2022, after almost 26 years, she made a comeback in the Hindi entertainment industry with the music video “Maa O Maa.”
In an interview, while talking about his return, his brother Bhanu said,
When he visited the Durga Puja pandal in Kolkata, I could see that he still has a huge fan following. So, I told him that he must start acting again. She was offered the lead role in a serial called Chhoti Sardani, which Mandakini declined but she suggested Anita Raaj’s name for the role.”
Bold Scenes in Debut Film
In the Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985), she wore a sheer white saree for the song ‘Tujhe Bulayein Yeh Meri Bahein.’ in the movie. He received criticism from the audience for his daring scenes in the film. .
Met with Dawood Ibrahim
Mandakini’s career faced a downfall after her picture with don Dawood Ibrahim went viral on news channels. He was criticized by the audience and the media for having an alleged relationship with gangsters.
- The legendary Indian actress and director changed her screen name to Mandakini from Yasmeen/Yasmin Joseph.
- For her debut Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985), she was nominated by Filmfare in the Best Actress category.
- Mandakini signed the Hindi film ‘Mazloom’ before ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985), and the film’s director wanted to change her name to ‘Madhuri.’
- He auditioned for Hindi films ‘Betaab’ (1981) and ‘Lava’ (1983), but he was rejected in the audition round.
- In the Hindi film ‘Once Upon A Time In Mumbai Dobaara!’ (2013), Sonakshi Sinha’s character is loosely based on Mandakini.
- He is an avid animal lover and has a pet dog named Simba.
- He has received various awards including the Golden Jubilee award.
- She has been featured on the cover of various magazines.
- Mandakini’s paternal grandfather was a key figure in laying underwater telephone cable wires in England, and he was a millionaire.
- Mandakini stopped acting in films because after her photo with Dawood went viral, producers stopped offering her work in their films.
- After quitting Hindi films, he started working as a spiritual guide. After her marriage to a former monk, she began to follow Buddhism. In an interview, while talking about it, he said,
I was initiated into Tibetan yoga years ago when I was seeking solace from the rigors of the film industry. My teacher is my husband, who is deep in spirituality.”