Nadiya Moidu is a popular Indian actress known for her work in Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam films. She was born as Zareena Moidu, however, she changed her name to Nadiya Moidu after entering the film industry.
Nadiya Moidu was born Zareena Moidu on Monday, 24 October 1966 (age 55 years; in 2022) in Sion, Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Scorpio. She completed her primary education at The JB Vachha High School for Parsi Girls, Mumbai. He did his pre-university degree at Sir Jamsetjee Jeejeebhoy School of Arts, Mumbai. After her marriage, she moved to the United States, where she received an associate degree in Media Management and a BA in Communication Arts – Radio & Television. He worked there as a Newsreader for the Corporation of American Broadcasting. In 2000, he was promoted and moved to London, where he worked as a Newsreader for the London BBC. In 2007, he returned to India and started living in Mumbai with his family.
Height (approx): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx): 55 kg
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Figure Measurements (approx): 32-28-36
He belongs to a Malayali family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, NK Moidu, is a Muslim and belongs to Thalassery, Kerala. His mother, Lalitha, is a Hindu, and she hails from Thiruvalla, Pathanamthitta district, Kerala. He has a younger sister.
Husband & Son
Nadiya Moidu married Shirish Godbole in 1989. Her husband is the former chief negotiator of the American Bankers Association. The couple has two daughters, Sanam and Jana.
Nadiya Moidu made her debut in 1984 with the Malayalam film “Nokkethadhoorathu Kannum Nattu,” alongside Mohanlal and Padmini.
In 1985, he made his Tamil debut with the film “Poove Poochudava,” which was a remake of “Nokkethadhoorathu Kannum Nattu.”
He made his Telugu debut with the film “Bazaar Rowdy” in 1988.
After moving to the US, he worked in many films with the condition that the shooting of the film must be completed within his time off. He worked in the Tamil films “Chinna Madam” (1994) and “Rajakumaran” (1994) under the same circumstances. Later, he took a break from cinema for almost a decade and made a comeback in 2004 with the Tamil film “M. Kumaran Son of Mahalakshmi.”
Apart from Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam movies, Moidu is acting in Indian English language movie “Wonder Women” in 2022 on SonyLIV.
Some of his most popular films include the Tamil film “Nilave Malare” (1986), the Tamil film “Anbulla Appa” (1987), the Telugu film “Attarintiki Daredi” (2013), the Telugu film “Ghani” (2022), and the Malayalam film “Bheeshma Parvam” (2022).
Short Film Series & Anthologies
In 2021, Nadiya appeared in the Malayalam short film “Oru Paathiraa Swapnam Pole” opposite Garggi Ananthan. In 2022, she worked on a five-episode anthology series, “Putham Pudhu Kaalai Vidiyaadhaa,” opposite Joju George, which premiered on Amazon Prime Video on January 14, 2022.
In 2010, Nadiya made her television debut by hosting the TV show “Jackpot” on Jaya TV. He appeared as a judge in the Malayalam TV show “Veruthe Alla Bharya” (2015), which aired on Mazhavil Manorama, and “Comedy Star Season 2” (2019), which aired on Asianet. He made a cameo appearance in several episodes of the Tamil TV show “Roja.”
Awards & Achievements
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Malayalam for the film “Nokkethadhoorathu Kannum Nattu” in 1985
- Nandi Award for Best Supporting Actress for the movie “Attarintiki Daredi” in 2013
- TSR – TV9 National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for the movie “Attarintiki Daredi” in 2013
- JFW Achiever Award in 2022
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil for the movie “Poove Poochudava”
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil for the movie “Nilave Malare”
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil for the film “Anbulla Appa”
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil for the movie “M. Kumaran Son of Mahalakshmi”
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Telugu for the movie “Attarintiki Daredi”
- SIIMA Award for Best Supporting Actress – Telugu for the film “Attarintiki Daredi”
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Telugu for the film “Drushyam”
- SIIMA Award for Best Supporting Actress – Telugu for the film “Drushyam”
- SIIMA Award for Best Supporting Actress – Telugu for the movie “A…Aa”
- Nadiya Moidu became the brand ambassador for Arokya Milk and Thangamayil Jewelery in 2008.
- After entering the film Industry, she changed her name from Zareena to Nadiya as there was another actress with the same name in the industry at that time. In an interview, he talked about how he got this name and said,
I got the name Nadiya, when I acted in the movie ‘Nokketha Doorath Kannum Natt’. I heard uncle Fazil’s sister-in-law (the director) suggested this name. At that time, Zarina Wahab was in the industry, so they decided to change my name to avoid confusion. Even now, people outside the film industry identify me as Zareena.”
- Nadiya Moidu prefers to watch Hindi movies than South Indian movies.
- In an interview, she revealed that she was offered the lead role in the Bollywood film “Maine Pyar Kiya,” starring Salman Khan, but she turned it down as she was busy doing South Indian films.
- Nadiya Moidu wants to work in Marathi films. Sharing her desire to work in Marathi films in an interview, she said,
As I was born and brought up in Mumbai, so I wanted to give them a Marathi film in return.”
- In a shoot for Naam Foundation, Nadiya Moidu poses to recreate one of Raja Ravi Varma’s paintings.
- Nadiya Moidu dubbed her voice for the first time for the movie “Ante Sundaraniki” (2022).