Parineeti Chopra is an Indian actor, who works in Bollywood. She received recognition for her role as Zoya in the film ‘Ishaqzaade’ (2012). She is known for her work in films like ‘Hasee Toh Phasee’ (2014), ‘Golmaal Again’ (2017), and ‘Meri Pyaari Bindu’ (2017).
Parineeti Chopra was born on Saturday, 22 October 1988 (age 34 years; as of 2022) in Ambala, Haryana, India. Her zodiac sign is Libra. She attended the Convent of Jesus and Mary school in Ambala and later studied at Alliance Manchester Business School (Alliance MBS) in England, where she obtained a triple honours degree in Business, Finance, and Economics. Parineeti holds a Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) degree in Music. She was a studious child, and she constantly bagged one of the top three positions in her class. She secured the AIR #1 in the SSC exams and was awarded by Pratibha Patil, the then President of India. Parineeti aspired to be an investment banker; however, she later decided to pursue a career in acting.
Height (approx.): 5’ 5”
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour: Black with Medium Golden Brown highlights
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-28-34
Parineeti Chopra had to endure the harsh reality of body shaming, both prior to her debut film and even during her early days in Bollywood. As a response to the negativity, she underwent a significant weight loss transformation; she reduced over 28 kgs of weight.
Her physical transformation was not received well by the public when she posted a video on social media, where she advised her friend Alia Bhatt to ‘eat less and become thin’ while wishing her a happy birthday. Consequently, Twitter users criticized her for being ‘fake,’ ‘obnoxious,’ and for promoting an unhealthy obsession with body image. In 2015, Parineeti Chopra was awarded the Star Dust Award for Style Icon of The Year; however, Rishi Kapoor believed that she was awarded for shedding some pounds as she underwent a physical transformation at that time. While making a snide comment on this, Rishi Kapoor said,
I couldn’t believe it when they recently gave an award to Parineeti for losing weight. Can someone please give me an award for gaining weight?”
Parineeti Chopra belongs to a Punjabi Hindu Family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Pawan Chopra, is a businessman, while her mother, Reena Chopra, is an artist. Parineeti has two brothers, Shivang Chopra and Sahaj Chopra; Shivang is a doctor, while Sahaj is a businessman.
Parineeti Chopra is the cousin of actresses Priyanka Chopra, Meera Chopra, and Barbie Handa.
In March 2023, Parineeti Chopra was spotted with politician Raghav Chadha in Mumbai following which speculations became rife in the media that both were dating each other; however, they didn’t confirm this. On 28 March 2023, AAP Rajya Sabha MP Sanjeev Arora took to social media to congratulate Raghav and Parineeti Chopra, saying may their “union” be blessed with an abundance of love, joy, and companionship.
I extend my heartfelt congratulations to @raghav_chadha and @ParineetiChopra. May their union be blessed with an abundance of love, joy, and companionship. My best wishes!!! pic.twitter.com/3fSWVT4evR
— Sanjeev Arora (@MP_SanjeevArora) March 28, 2023
On 13 May 2023, the couple got engaged at Kapurthala House, New Delhi.
Parineeti was rumoured to be in a relationship with director Maneesh Sharma; however, in an interview, she rubbished the rumour and expressed how such unfounded rumours negatively impact her personal life.
Reportedly, in April 2017, Parineeti Chopra started dating Charit Desai, an Indian script supervisor and director; however, in an interview, when asked about her relationship with Charit, she chose to maintain her privacy and declined to make any official statements regarding her personal life. She said,
I’ve never accepted or denied anything. My family, friends and everybody around know the truth, and that’s all that matters to me. I think the media expects us to make an announcement, but hey, it is my personal life for a reason. So yeah, no acceptance and no denial.”
In 2018, Charit Desai was spotted attending a pre-wedding dinner party hosted by Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas at a luxurious restaurant in Mumbai; however, in 2019, amidst speculation about Parineeti Chopra and Charit’s relationship, Parineeti spoke about her breakup in an interview, describing it as the most difficult phase of her life. Parineeti said,
I have gone through one big heartbreak and I think it’ll be the only one. Honestly, I was a mess. It was the worst time in my life because I had not seen any kind of rejection till then. I needed my family the most. But if anything changed in terms of maturity, it’s all because of that. I thank God for giving me that phase early on in my life.”
In 2009, amidst the economic recession in the United Kingdom, Parineeti Chopra struggled to find a job in London and thus returned to India. She then took on a job as a public relations consultant at Yash Raj Films. While working for the promotion of the film ‘Band Baaja Baaraat’ (2010), Parineeti discovered her passion for acting. She made the decision to pursue a career in acting and subsequently resigned from her executive position.
Parineeti made her acting debut in 2011 with the film ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl’ as Dimple Chaddha. Although she played a supporting role in the film, her performance was highly praised by critics, and it earned her widespread recognition.
In 2012, Parineeti played the role of ‘Zoya Qureshi’ in the film ‘Ishaqzaade’ alongside actor Arjun Kapoor.
She played the role of a quirky scientist named ‘Dr. Meeta Solanki Bharadwaj’ with facial tics, indicating serious psychological problems, in the film ‘Hasee Toh Phasee’ (2014).
In 2021, she played the role of Mira Kapoor, an alcoholic and troubled divorcee who gets embroiled in a big murder investigation, in the film ‘The Girl on the Train.’ The film was released on Netflix. Parineeti appeared in other films like ‘Shuddh Desi Romance’ (2013), ‘Daawat-e-Ishq’ (2014), ‘Jabariya Jodi’ (2019), ‘Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar’ (2021), and ‘Saina’ (2021). Apart from working in films, she appeared in a web series named ‘Man’s World’ in 2015 in which she played the role of a doctor.
Short Film & Documentary
Parineeti Chopra worked in a short film titled ‘Dor’ in 2014; she played the role of ‘Ria’ in the film.
In 2013, she worked in a documentary titled ‘Girl Rising: Woh Padhegi, Woh Udegi,’ directed by Academy Award Nominee, Richard E. Robbins. The documentary featured eight stories of young women around the world who followed their dream. Parineeti Chopra and seven other Indian actresses including Priyanka Chopra, Freida Pinto, Kareena Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit, Sushmita Sen, Nandita Das, and Alia Bhatt voiced the stories. The documentary was released under the mentorship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and in partnership with the Ministry of Women & Child Development. The documentary was aired on the channel StarPlus on 29 August 2015.
Parineeti Chopra hosted many Indian award shows including ‘Stardust Awards 2013,’ ‘Star Guild Awards 2015,’ and ‘TOIFA Awards 2016.’ In 2022, she appeared as a judge on the Indian television reality show ‘Hunarbaaz: Desh Ki Shaan’ along with Mithun Chakraborty and Karan Johar; the show was aired on Colors TV.
In 2017, Parineeti made her singing debut with the Hindi-language song ‘Maana Ke Hum Yaar Nahin’ from the film ‘Meri Pyaari Bindu.’ She appeared in the film alongside Ayushmann Khurrana.
- Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut for the film ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl.’
- Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut for the film ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl.’
- Screen Award for Most Promising Debut Actress for the film ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl.’
- Global Film Award for Most Promising Debut Actress for the film ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl.’
- People’s Choice Award for Favourite Debut Actor (Male/Female) for the films ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl’ and ‘Ishaqzaade.’
- Bhaskar Bollywood Award for Most Dramatic Newcomer (Female) for the film ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl.’
- Popular Award at Annual Central European Bollywood Awards, India, under the category Breakthrough Role (Actress) for the film ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl.’
- Cosmopolitan Fun Fearless Award under the category of Fun Fearless Debut Actress.
- Popular Award at The International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA) under the categories Best Actress in a Supporting Role and Best Debut Actress for the film ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl.’
- National Film Award Special Mention for the film ‘Ishaqzaade.’
- Stardust Award for Superstar of Tomorrow for the film ‘Ishaqzaade.’
- Stardust Jury’s Choice Award under the category of Superstar of Tomorrow – Female for the film ‘Ishaqzaade.’
- Film Award at the Big STAR Entertainment Awards (also spelt as the BIG Star Entertainment Awards) under the category of the Most Entertaining Actress in a Comedy Film for the film ‘Hasee Toh Phasee.’
- Stardust Reader’s Choice Award for Star of the Year – Actress for the film ‘Kill Dil.’
- Vogue Beauty Award under the category of Flawless Face.
- Special Award at Stardust Awards for Style Icon of the Year.
- Vogue Beauty Award under the category of Inspirational Icon.
Parineeti owns an Audi A6 and a Jaguar XJ L.
Assets & Properties
She resides at a sea-facing flat in Bandra, Mumbai.
Parineeti’s net worth for the fiscal year 2023 was estimated to be Rs. 60 crores.
- Food: Rajma-Chawal, Kadhai Chicken, Pizza
- Film(s): Pakeezah (1972), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Barfi (2012)
- Song(s): ‘Just a Dream’ by Nelly, ‘Hey Baby’ by Pitbull and T-Pain, ‘Loca’ by Shakira, ‘Who’s That Chick?’ by David Guetta
- Perfume(s): Narciso Rodriguez, 212 VIP, Acqua Di Gio
- Restaurant(s): Ping Pong, Mangii Ferra, Indigo in Mumbai
- Holiday Destination(s): Goa, London
- Parineeti is fondly called Tisha and Pari by her family and friends.
- While studying at the Alliance Manchester Business School in England, she led the catering department of the Manchester United Football Club as a team leader.
- Rani Mukerji played a pivotal role in Parineeti Chopra’s decision to pursue acting. In fact, it was Mukerji who encouraged Chopra to become an actress. Additionally, Chopra had the opportunity to be Mukerji’s personal assistant for a day, which she considers one of the most memorable experiences of her life. While talking about her experience of working as a personal assistant of Rani, Parineeti, in an interview, said,
I was her PA just for one day. It was the best day of my life! Because she was my favourite and she was going to my favourite reality show and in fact, I got to spend 1.5 hours driving to Khandala with her. She told me that you know, you have it in you to become an actress. You should become an actress. I was like wow, Rani Mukerji, my idol is saying this to me.”
- Parineeti Chopra has a variety of hobbies including dancing, reading, and swimming. She is an active scuba diver and frequently shares pictures and videos of her underwater adventures on social media. In 2023, she earned the title of the ‘master scuba diver’ after 9 years of rigorous training under PADI: Professional Association of Diving Instructors, a diver training organisation.
- Parineeti Chopra is a passionate traveller. She loves to explore various exotic destinations. She often shares her travel experiences by posting pictures on her social media handle.
- Parineeti loves singing, and she is a trained Hindustani classical singer. In an interview, she talked about her love for singing and said that she took training from a guru, who belonged to the Agra Gharana, while she was living in Ambala with her family.
- Parineeti Chopra is not a fan of cooking. In an interview, she disclosed that she struggles with even the most basic kitchen tasks such as making a cup of tea, something she thoroughly enjoys. She went on to explain that she lacks the patience required for cooking, which is why it’s not one of her favourite activities.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- She consumes alcohol occasionally.
- She is an avid gadget enthusiast. She talked about her passion for gadgets, in an interview, and shared that she purchased an Apple laptop from her first paycheck.
- Parineeti has a fear of plane landings. In an interview, she revealed that even after multiple flights, she finds plane landings to be quite nerve-wracking, and she often worries that the plane might get crashed.
- Parineeti Chopra values good fashion, regardless of whether it is a branded or non-branded item. She prioritizes quality and style when it comes to choosing her outfits.
- In an interview, Parineeti Chopra talked about her secret crush and revealed that she had a soft spot for Saif Ali Khan.