Priya Bhavani Shankar is an Indian actress and television presenter who is well-known for her appearance in Tamil films. She became famous as a television news presenter on the Tamil news channel Puthiya Thalaimurai in 2018.
Priya Bhavani Shankar was born on Sunday, 31 December 1989 (age 32 years; as of 2022) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn. She did her schooling at SBOA Matriculation and Higher Secondary School, Chennai. She pursued a bachelor’s degree in technology at B.S.Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science & Technology, Tamil Nadu. She has pursued a master’s degree in business administration.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 36-24-36
Parents & Siblings
Priya’s father’s name is Bhavani Shankar, who works at SBI. Her mother’s name is Thangam Bhavani Shankar, who is a homemaker.
Her brother’s name is Shiv Shankar.
Wife & Children
Priya is unmarried.
Priya is in a relationship with Rajvel Raj, who works as a data analyst.
Priya made her debut with the Tamil film Meyaadha Maan in 2017 and played the role of S. Madhumitha.
She appeared in other Tamil films including Monster (2019) as Meghala, Mafia: Chapter 1 (2020) as Sathya, Kalathil Santhippom (2021) as Sofia, Hostel (2022) as Adhirshtalakshmi and Yaanai as Jebamalar.
She began her career as a news presenter on the Tamil channel Puthiya Thalaimurai TV in 2011 and worked there till 2014.
In 2014, she appeared as Priya Arjun in the television show Kalyanam Mudhal Kadhal Varai.
She hosted various shows on the channel Star Vijay including Jodi Number One Season 5 (2015), Filmfare Awards South (2015), Super Singer Senior Season 5 (2015), and Kings of Dance Season 1 (2016).
Before becoming an actor, she worked as an IT professional at Infosys.
In 2022, Priya attracted controversy when she responded to one of her fans on social media who asked her about her bra size. She took to social media and responded to him and said,
I’m a 34D bro.. Breast are not something I bought from a different planet. Women in your life too has a pair, Probably you’ll have to zoom through theri t-shirts aswell to catch a glimpse. Good luck for that.”
In another interview, she gave the reason for responding to the troll and said,
While it becomes a content for media channels, obviously it feels annoying as they are making it as a subject to public talk repeatedly. One thing I learnt over the years, is to ignore. I have avoided answering such questions 999 times as I know it’s better to ignore. But sometimes you should stand up for yourself. You don’t have to be vocal and have an opinion about everything all the time. But, at some point, even for once, you should stand up for yourself. I thinks it’s that.”
- Film: Mugavaree (2000) (Tamil)
- Travel destination: Greece
- Priya’s full name is Sathyapriya Bhavani Shankar.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Her hobbies include travelling and baking.
- When she was a child, she always wanted to become an anchor, but she pursued engineering. In an interview, she said that while she was pursuing engineering, she always thought of becoming an anchor. She started her career as a reporter, then worked in television shows and then appeared in various Tamil films. In an interview, she said that she was not comfortable working in television, but enjoyed her work as an anchor. In an interview, she talked about this and said,
I don’t want to get back to television. Acting for television is harder than for films. My body and brain struggle to handle as much pressure.”
- Priya believed that if an actor has not played the lead role in the film, he or she will not receive recognition even when the film is a hit. In the interview, she talked about this and said,
It is something that frustrates me. Until you are part of a big scale film, you don’t matter [in the industry]. Your hit movies don’t count, the characters you play doesn’t matter until you have played a role alongside a big hero.”
- She does not do glamorous roles because she didn’t want to feel awkward in front of her in-laws when she watches her own film after a few years. In an interview, she talked about this and said,
I am open to trying out various genres. My only condition is that the projects I accept must treat women with dignity and respect. I know I am not heroine material. I’m more of a performer. I am also not interested in doing glamour roles. I want to do films which I can watch proudly with my family!”
- Interestingly, she worked with Dhanush in the film Thiruchitrambalam in 2022 and interviewed him in 2012 when she worked as a reporter.
- In an interview, she said that during the beginning of her career, she did not take up offers of big movies. In the interview, she further said,
I don’t have a guide in the industry. No one advised me on what projects to take up. No one told me not to turn down a big film. I have made my own mistakes and learned from them.”
- She has stars inked on her right hand.