A new Iron Man 4 fan trailer imagines how Robert Downey Jr. could make his return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Tony Stark after his death.
- Iron Man fans are still hoping for Tony Stark to return in the future, and a new fan trailer imagines a potential Iron Man 4 with a teenage Morgan Stark carrying on her father’s legacy.
- The concept of multiple realities in the upcoming Multiverse Saga opens up the possibility for a variant of Iron Man to appear in future MCU movies, allowing Robert Downey Jr. to return without altering his iconic Avengers: Endgame finale.
- While it’s uncertain if Downey Jr. will reprise his role as Iron Man, the MCU should find a way to honor the character’s legacy, whether through introducing new variants, through flashback scenes, or simply acknowledging his significance in the franchise.
SCREENRANT VIDEO OF THE DAY
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
After his great sacrifice in Avengers: Endgame, Tony Stark’s comeback to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is imagined in a new Iron Man 4 fan trailer. While the MCU has continued to add new superheroes into the popular franchise, many are still hoping for Iron Man to somehow return in the future. While Iron Man died in Phase 3, with his demise wrapping up The Infinity Saga, characters aren’t always gone for good in the MCU, as there are always numerous ways for deceased heroes or villains to re-emerge.
Even though Iron Man had his own trilogy, the MCU audience always made it clear that they would be more than open to seeing Iron Man 4 happen. Presented as a proof-of-concept if Marvel Studios ever pursued a sequel for the MCU timeline, Screen Culture recently released an Iron Man 4 fan trailer for Robert Downey Jr.’s fallen hero.
The Iron Man 4 fan trailer follows a teenage Morgan Stark, years after her father’s major sacrifice that helped stop Thanos once and for all – though it’s revealed that he uploaded his memories into technology that allows a digital version of him to guide his daughter, in a premise not dissimilar to the comics’ AI version of Tony Stark. The story sees Morgan joining forces with Riri Williams, a.k.a. Ironheart, and Tom Holland’s Spider-Man as they together keep Tony’s legacy alive.
RELATED: 10 Iron Man Moments That Prove Robert Downey Jr’s MCU Acting Fear Wrong
Will Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man Actually Show Up In The Multiverse Saga?
While Iron Man 4 is, at this point, likely not going to happen, the question of whether Downey Jr.’s beloved MCU hero could be showing up in The Multiverse Saga is less certain. One of the core essences of the ongoing storyline is the idea of endless realities with infinite variants of established MCU characters. As the MCU is building towards Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars, the expectations are only going to get bigger for The Multiverse Saga’s most crucial movies.
Related: 10 Steps To Saving The MCU’s Multiverse Saga Before It’s Too Late
It would potentially be a wasted opportunity if Marvel Studios didn’t find a way to introduce at least one Iron Man variant in any upcoming MCU movies that are part of Phases 5 or 6. This would, without a doubt, be the most unique and viable option for Downey Jr. to come back to the MCU, allowing his return without having to mess with his unforgettable finale in Avengers: Endgame. Exploring a version of Tony from another universe also gives the creative team a chance to explore a different mythology for the MCU legend, which is especially logical when shows like What If…? have proven that the audience is open to seeing alternative arcs for MCU characters in other universes.
Time will tell if Downey Jr. is back for any of the upcoming Avengers movies, and if he is, it will definitely be one of the most guarded MCU secrets leading up to their respective releases. The bigger and more possible twist would be if Downey Jr. had actually already filmed something for an upcoming MCU movie, as even a flashback that audiences haven’t seen before would definitely garner a big response. Even if Iron Man 4 never comes to fruition, the MCU will hopefully continue to honor the legacy of its first and central hero in whatever form it can.
Source: Screen Culture/YouTube
Key Release Dates
- The Marvels Release Date: 2023-11-10
- Deadpool 3 Release Date: 2024-05-03
- Captain America: Brave New World Release Date: 2024-05-03
- Marvel’s Thunderbolts Release Date: 2024-12-20
- Blade (2025) Release Date: 2025-02-14
- Marvel’s Fantastic Four Release Date: 2025-05-02
- Avengers: The Kang Dynasty Release Date: 2026-05-01
- Avengers: Secret Wars Release Date: 2027-05-01