Sanjay Balraj Dutt is one of the most famous Indian actors of Bollywood. Apart from an actor, he is also a talented producer. He is well known among his fans with the names like Sanju Baba, and Munna Bhai. He has suffered a lot and faced many challenges in his life. But despite these adverse circumstances, he proved his talent in the Indian film industry with the movies like ‘Rocky’ (1981),’ ‘Naam (1986),’ ‘Saajan (1991),’ ‘Vaastav (1999),’ and ‘Munnabhai M.B.B.S (2003).’
Born on 29 July 1959, Sanjay is a 64 years old film star from Mumbai, Maharashtra. He has done his schooling from The Lawrence School, Sanawar (Near Kasauli, Himachal Pradesh). He was good at the study but at the same time, he grievously addicted to drugs during his high school days. Later, he decided to leave this bad habit and became successful to get rid of it through drug rehabilitation. He also changed his name from ‘Sunjay’ to ‘Sanjay’ with an aim to begin a new life with a new name.
Sanjay’s mother had a life-threatening disease Pancreatic Cancer, and after a long period of suffering with it, she died on 2 May 1981. Posterior her death, when he saw an audio record of Nargis struggling for her life, he lost into gloom and wept for many days, as in it, she revealed her last desire for his son Sanjay to preserve his natural instinct throughout his life and to never show off.
Sanjay Dutt is a handsome hunk with well-crafted body features 44″ chest, 36″ waist, and 16″ biceps. He looks handsome on screen in his healthy physique with 187 lbs weight and 6’ height.
Family, Caste, Wives & Girlfriends
Sanjay belongs to a renowned Punjabi family of Indian film industry, where his father Late Sunil Dutt was a legend Indian actor, and mother Late Nargis Dutt was also a superhit actress of Hindi cinema. He has two younger sisters Priya Dutt (politician) and Namrata Dutt who is married to a famous Indian actor Kumar Gaurav.
Sanju Baba had been the dearest child of his mother Nargis and she used to call him ‘Chand.’ Nargis wanted to see her son on the silver screen but unfortunately, she became a victim of pancreatic cancer and died on 2 May 1981, just five days before the release of Sanjay’s first movie ‘Rocky.’
According to some sources, he had an affair with the actress Tina Munim in 1981. But their relationship couldn’t last long and was ended in 1983. Then, the actress Richa Sharma came in his life, whom he chose as his life partner, and married her in 1987. They lived a prosperous married life and Richa gave birth to a daughter Trishala. However, the destiny wanted something else as Richa passed away due to Cancer just after 8 years of their marriage in 1996. After her death, their daughter Trishala started living with her maternal grandparents in the United States.
Then, Sanju Baba came in contact with a model Rhea Pillai and after a short period of dating, he married her in 1998. But their marriage life could not go smooth and they decided to end their wedlock with a divorce in 2005.
After two years of divorce with Rhea, Sanjay tied the knot with actress Manyata or Dilnawaz Sheikh in 2008. Since that time, they have been living a happy married life of love and mutual understanding. They also have a son Shahraan and daughter Iqra.
He started his career in the Indian film Industry as a child actor with the film ‘Reshma Aur Shera’ in 1972. His first film as a lead actor was ‘Rocky’ in 1981.
In 1986, after the success of his blockbuster film- ‘Naam,’ he was counted among the leading Bollywood heroes of that time. In 1992, he was nominated for the Filmfare Best Actor Award for the film- ‘Saajan.’
In 1999, he touched the sky with his superhit movie- ‘Vaastav.’ His role as Raghunath Namdev Shivalkar or Raghu was highly appreciated by the film critics and audiences. In 2000, he won Filmfare Award for the Best Actor for this movie.
In 2004, he again got the Filmfare Award for the Best Comedian for the film ‘Munnabhai M.B.B.S.’ In this movie, his character Murli Prasad or Munna Bhai is considered as the iconic role in his career.
In the 2009 Lok Sabha Elections, Samajwadi Party gave him a ticket to contest the election, but due to his illegal possession of arms case, he couldn’t start the campaign and withdrew his candidature. In the same year, he also produced a film ‘Shortkut.’
In 2011, he appeared as a co-host with the actor Salman Khan in a TV show- ‘Bigg Boss Season 5.’
In 1982, he was imprisoned for five months for keeping illegal drugs. Then, during the 1993 Mumbai Serial Blasts, he was arrested under TADA (Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act) for occupying illegal arms (AK-56). Although he was released from jail on bail in October 1995, yet he was again arrested by the police in December 1995. But, one more time, he got out of jail on bail in April 1997. During this time, he was totally jobless.
On 31 July 2007, TADA Court cleared him of the charges of Mumbai blast but sentenced him to imprisonment for 6 years for possessing illegal weapons. He was taken to the Yerwada Jail in Pune. On 20 August 2007, he was released on bail, but on 22 October 2007, he was again sent to the Jail. Finally, on 27 November 2007, the Supreme Court granted him bail.
On 21 March 2013, the Supreme Court of India, after reviewing the TADA verdict, reduced his sentence from six years to five years imprisonment.
In 2002, an audio of a conversation between Sanjay Dutt and Chhota Shakeel rocked Bollywood.
- Sanjay is a fan of actors Amitabh Bachchan, Rajesh Khanna, Sharmila Tagore and Nargis.
- He loves Tandoori Chicken.
- His hobbies are photography, cooking, doing workouts, and horse riding.
- In his free time, he loves reading and his favourite book is A Stone For Danny Fisher by Harold Robbins.
- He has a good collection of cars such as Red Ferrari 599 GTB, Porsche SUV, Rolls Royce Ghost, a two-seater Audi R8, Audi Q7, and BMW 7 series.
- Sanjay enjoys the ride of his bike Harley-Davidson Fat Boy.
- His favourite singers are Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar.
- He is an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva.
- He is a fine guitarist has won a Gold medal in a competition in America.
- During his jail term at the Pune’s Yerwada Jail, he earned ₹38,000 in the period of 5 years of his jail term, but spent the majority of it on his daily expenses, and came out of jail with ₹450.
- He also revealed some aspects of his life in a TV show ‘Aap Ki Adalat.’
- In 2018, director Rajkumar Hirani made a biopic on Sanjay Dutt’s life with the title ‘Sanju.’ In this movie, Ranbir Kapoor has played the role of Sanjay Dutt.
- In August 2020, he was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. The news came out after he was taken to Mumbai’s Lilavati Hospital where he was tested negative for COVID-19.
- In June 2023, he obtained stakes in the Harare Hurricanes, a franchise of the Zim Afro T10 cricket league, which is recognized as the fastest form of the sport. After the deal, Mr. Dutt said,
Zimbabwe has a rich history in the sport and to associate with that and help fans have a great time is something that truly gives me joy.”
- Dutt is considered a heavy drinker and smoker. He has also appeared in various surrogate advertisements.
- In June 2023, he became associated with the Cartel & Bros, an alcobev startup that brought out a Scotch whiskey called ‘The Glenwalk.’