Sunidhi Chauhan is a famous Indian playback singer who has sung in various languages including Hindi, English, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam. He has sung more than 2000 songs (as of 2019).
Sunidhi Chauhan was born as ‘Nidhi Chauhan’ on Sunday, 14 August 1983 (age 38 years; in 2021) in Delhi. His zodiac sign is Leo.
He did his schooling from Greenway Modern School, New Delhi. After completing his schooling, he abandoned his studies to pursue his singing career. He took formal training in Indian Classical Music from Gautam Mukherjee.
Height (approx): 5′ 3″
Weight (approx): 60 kg
Figure Measurements (approx): 34-30-36
Eye Color: Dark Brown
Hair Color: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Sunidhi Chauhan belongs to a Rajput family. His father, Dushyant Kumar Chauhan, is a theater artist at Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra, Delhi.
His mother is a housewife.
He has a younger sister named Suneha Chauhan.
She married director and choreographer Bobby Khan in 2002. The marriage alienated Sunidhi from her family and they disowned her. Due to some differences in their relationship, Sunidhi and Bobby separated after a year of their marriage. Her family reconciled with her post breaking up with Bobby.
During this period, he lived with Annu Kapoor and his wife Arunita. Sunidhi Chauhan later entered into a relationship with Hitesh Sonik, who was her childhood friend. The two dated for two years and tied the knot on April 24, 2012.
He has a son named Tegh Sonik (born on January 1, 2018).
At the age of 4, Sunidhi started performing at local assemblies and competitions.
At one such show, she was spotted by actor Tabassum. Tabassum made him sing live on his show “Tabassum Hit Parade” and advised Sunidhi’s family to move to Mumbai.
When they moved to Mumbai, Tabassum introduced Sunidhi to Kalyanji Virji Shah and Anandji Virji Shah. After that, he worked at the Kalyanji academy for several years and became the lead singer in the “Little Wonders” troupe. She made her Bollywood debut as a singer with the song “Ladki Deewani Dekho” from the film “Shastra (1996).”
He released his first album “Aira Gaira Nathu Khaira” in the same year.
He then worked as a backing vocalist for two years. He made a breakthrough with the song “Ruki Ruki Si Zindagi” from the movie “Mast (1999).”
He also received 2 Filmfare nominations for the song. She has sung several popular songs like “Mehboob Mere,” “Bumbro,” “Say Shava Shava,” “Ishq Samundar,” “Crazy Kiya Re,” “Desi Girl,” “Dilliwaali Girlfriend,” and many more. She made her Marathi debut with the song “Kande Pohe” from the film “Sanai Choughade (2008).” He made his Punjabi debut with the song “Muqabla” from the movie “Pind Di Kudi (2004).”
She made her Tamil debut with the song “Kundu Kundu” from the film “Dhool (2003).”
She made her Kannada debut with the song “Aeeeyy Aeeyyii” from the movie “Hollywood (2003).” She made her Telugu debut as a singer with the film “Mallika (D) (1999).” He made his international singing debut with the song “Heartbeat,” with Enrique Iglesias. The song was included in the special Indian edition of Enrique’s album “Euphoria (2010).” She made her Pakistani debut as a singer with the song “Peehu Peehu” from the movie “Pyar Hi Pyar Mein” in 2002.
He has also collaborated with Pakistani band ‘Junoon.’
He has made several guest appearances in films like “Bhoot (2003),” “Hawaa Hawaai (2014)” and “Rangoon (2017).” Her first appearance was in the movie “Ehsaas: The Feeling” in 2001. She acted in a short film titled “Playing Priya” in 2016.
He has also voiced for films like “Rio (2011)” for the role of ‘Jewel’ and “Sons of Ram (2012)” for the role of ‘Sita.’ In 2006, he hosted Radio City 91.1 FM’s Morning Show, ‘Musical-E-Azam’ as a guest of Radio Jockey.
She has also worked as a model and has walked the ramp for several fashion designers.
Awards, Honors & Titles
- Received an Honorary Doctorate from Rai University in 2016
- Listed in Forbes India’s Top 5 Celeb100 Singers and Musicians in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Listed in FHM India’s World’s Sexiest Asian Women at the 28th position 2013
- RD Burman Award for New Music Talent for the song “Ruki Ruki Si Zindagi” from the movie “Mast (1999)” in 2001
- Best Female Playback Singer for the song “Beedi Jalaile” from the movie “Omkara” in 2007
- Best Female Playback Singer for the song “Sheila Ki Jawani” from the movie “Tees Maar Khan” in 2011
Note: Apart from the awards listed above, he has received several awards and nominations.
After Kishore Kumar’s son Amit Kumar’s revelation that he was pressured to praise the contestants of the popular Indian singing reality show Indian Idol, Sunidhi Chauhan also made similar allegations against the show’s makers. During the media interaction, he said,
Not that everyone has to do this, but yes, we are all told (to praise). That is the basic thing. So, I couldn’t continue. I couldn’t do what they wanted and I had to break up. Therefore, today, I do not judge any reality show.”
2B/183, Winder Mayer, Andheri West, Mumbai
He owns a Maruti Suzuki Ritz, a Honda Accord, a Mitsubishi Pajero, and a BMW X5.
He took about Rs. 6-7 Lakhs per song. His net worth is $10 million (approx).
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar
- Song: “Always Be My Baby” by Mariah Carey
- Color: Red, Black, Yellow
- She likes to drive, dance, and travel.
- She is known as the ‘modern version of Asha Bhosle.’
- Legendary singer, Lata Mangeshkar, described her as the ‘Numero Uno of a Generation Singer.’
- Sunidhi’s father hails from Uttar Pradesh but she was born and brought up in Delhi.
- He was introduced to music by his father. He credits his father for his success in his singing career as he also left his job in Delhi to make his singing career.
- Her mother has been a huge influence on Sunidhi as she guides her to pursue her career in music.
- Before his family moved to Mumbai, his father used to work at Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra, Delhi. There he played Rama in Ramleela for 12 years.
- Initially, Sunidhi did not receive any training for singing. He learned to sing by listening to cassettes and CDs of popular singers. At the age of 13, after he released his first album, he realized his limitations and decided to take formal training in classical singing from Gautam Mukherjee.
- In 1996, he won the music reality show ‘Meri Awaz Suno,’ which aired on Doordarshan TV. The judges of the show are Lata Mangeshkar and Manna Dey. Talking about her experience on the show, she said-
When I reached the mega final, Lata ji was sitting right in front of me. Manna Da, Pandit Jasraj ji, Parveen Sultana ji and Yash Chopra ji were there. Before my performance, I was afraid that if I saw him, I would start crying. I sang without looking at him, keeping my eyes on the ground. When I finished, I looked directly at the audience. I was too nervous to see the judges. When I won, Lataji was standing there with the trophy. I cried. He wiped my tears and said in my ear, “Whatever you need, ask me, if you want to learn from anyone, tell me.”
- Sonu Nigam recommended his name to music director Sandeep Chowtala, who directed the film “Mast.” It was the same film that gave him the first success of his career.
- She met Bobby Khan (her ex-husband) for the first time while working on the album “Pehla Nasha.”
- In 2006, she sang the English song ‘Reach Out’ at the opening ceremony of the 15th Asian Games in Doha, Qatar.
- After her marriage with Hitesh Sonik, Sunidhi gained 20 kg, due to which, she used to get short of breath on stage. To avoid this problem, he decided to lose weight and join a gym to get in shape.
- In 2005, he recorded a single titled “Zindagi Pukarti Hai” with sixteen other artists to raise money for the victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and Tsunami.
- In 2006, he sang the Windows Vista song “Wow Is Now.”
- Once, he was offered a song in one of Khalid Khidwai’s films. When he visited Kailash Kher’s studio to record the song, he asked Khidwai and the director, Ranjeet Gupta, to change some lines of the song as there were some bold political intonations in the lyrics but they refused to do so. Later, the song was assigned to Indu Sonali.
- He has judged several singing reality shows such as “Indian Idol (season 5 & 6),” “The Voice India,” “The Remix” and “Dil Hai Hindustani: Season 2.”
- He has done several shows in various countries.
- He is an active philanthropist and donates to various charities. He has also performed for various shows and charity events. He has also worked for many social causes.
- Sunidhi also lent her voice for John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ music video. The music video was created as part of a global campaign by UNICEF to celebrate the ’25th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child.’