After suffering an extremely disappointing opening weekend, the MCU movie The Marvels is setting up for an absolutely catastrophic second-week drop.
- The Marvels is experiencing a massive box office drop in its second week, earning only $3 million on Friday, a drastic 87% decrease from its opening.
- Despite setting up the future of the MCU narratively, the movie’s disappointing performance is concerning for its practical implications.
- The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and Trolls Band Together are currently outperforming The Marvels at the box office.
SCREENRANT VIDEO OF THE DAY
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
The Marvels is experiencing a terrible box office drop in its second week. Starring the characters Kamala Khan, Carol Danvers, and Monica Rambeau, the movie serves as a follow-up to Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, and WandaVision, while also tying into other Marvel Cinematic Universe projects. The movie suffered a disappointing opening weekend, earning a mere $47 million against a budget of over $270 million.
While The Marvels‘ ending sets up the future of the MCU, it is setting a dangerous trend in the real world. After its painful opening, the movie is also suffering a severe drop in its second weekend. According to a report by Variety, it earned just under $3 million on Friday, marking an 87 percent drop. Variety estimates that it should earn only $10 million through the weekend. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and Trolls Band Together have taken first and second place at the box office so far.
What Does The Marvels’ Failure Mean For The MCU?
The failure of The Marvels is a disastrous result for the MCU. With so much at stake with this movie, its collapse is a poor omen that could spell out future failures. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania also suffered disappointing returns, yet the success of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which earned $845.6 million, appeared to indicate that the former was a singular incident. Instead, The Marvels is starting a trend.
The Marvels suffered the worst domestic opening in MCU history.
There are several reasons behind the shrinking box office results. Marvel has been battling superhero fatigue, and it also has been coping with the recognition that its Multiverse Saga could be failing before it ever stabilizes. With Jonathan Majors under investigation for assault and harassment, the Kang era is at risk of completely stagnating. Additionally, the MCU has lost its leads, as Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans moved on from the universe.
Marvel has been attempting to reload, but The Marvels indicates that its efforts have been entirely unsuccessful. There is still an opportunity for the MCU to recover as it brings in the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. Depending on how those projects develop, the MCU can find its stability again. Unfortunately, it may be too late for The Marvels to recover.
Key Release Dates
- Deadpool 3 Release Date: 2024-07-26
- Captain America: Brave New World Release Date: 2024-05-03
- Marvel’s Thunderbolts Release Date: 2025-07-25
- Blade (2025) Release Date: 2025-11-07
- Marvel’s Fantastic Four Release Date: 2025-05-02
- Avengers: The Kang Dynasty Release Date: 2026-05-01
- Avengers: Secret Wars Release Date: 2027-05-07