Whether you’re looking for love or a simple summer fling, you’ll probably head to dating apps first hand. From Tinder and Bumble to Hinge and Grindr, there are plenty of options to choose from. Unfortunately, some of these apps may be geo-blocked or banned in your country.
In addition, dating sites handle a large amount of personal information, so they are often targeted by malicious actors and snoopers. Without any protection, you could end up in a sticky situation where you could lose valuable data, money, or even your identity. Fortunately, these and other problems can be easily avoided by using a VPN for online dating.
But what is a VPN? What are you doing? And what can you use it for? Well, you will find out all that in the following article.
What is a VPN and how does it work?
Simply put, a virtual private network is a tool that creates a secure, encrypted connection between your device and the Internet. When you turn on your VPN, your IP address, location, and activities are hidden. Thus, it improves your privacy and security.
On top of that, a reliable service can help you bypass geo-restrictions, censorship, and firewalls. That means you can watch more content, explore the Internet for free, and download apps that aren’t normally available in your country.
Benefits of using a VPN on dating sites
Now that you know the basics of VPNs, it’s time to dig in and find out how they can benefit you in the dating world. Before choosing a provider, do some research and be picky. You don’t want to end up with a sleazy virtual private network, do you?
According to the tech experts at CoolTechZone, privacy is one of the main reasons why you should use a VPN for online dating. As mentioned above, dating sites handle a large amount of personal data. Unfortunately, in addition to being targeted by malicious hackers, some dating sites may sell your information to third parties.
On top of that, when you use apps like Tinder, Bumble, or Grindr, your IP address and location are visible to everyone. This could lead to bullying, doxing, or other unpleasant situations. Therefore, using a VPN is a wise decision. It will hide all the important information and prevent anyone from following you online.
With the amount of data dating sites handle, you would expect them to have top-notch security. Unfortunately, that is often not the case, and various applications are affected by cyberattacks. For example, in 2020, some dating apps were vulnerable to a patched bug. As a result, the hackers were able to inject malicious code into the applications. Thus, they had access to all users’ information about the dating apps and the devices they used.
However, you can avoid similar disasters by using a reliable and secure VPN. A virtual private network can encrypt and scramble your data, making it virtually impossible to crack. Therefore, hackers will have a hard time accessing your data. Also, for added protection, some VPNs offer antivirus and cyber threat blockers for added security.
For political or religious reasons, some countries prohibit online dating. Also, some apps only work in certain regions. For example, you can find Hinge only in 20 countries. So if you want to download a dating app that isn’t available in your area, you may need to travel to a different location to get it. But a cheaper and faster way to do it is with a VPN.
A virtual private network allows you to choose a server in any available country. When you are connected, you get a new IP address. That way, app stores and various sites give you access to content that is only available in a specific location. So, suppose you are in the United Arab Emirates and you want to use Hinge. In that case, get a VPN, connect to a server in the UK, and search for the app. After completing the setup, you will be able to explore a new dating pool!
To make a profit, some online dating sites and apps put certain features behind a paywall. For example, Tinder only allows you to change your location if you get a premium subscription. The same thing happens on Bumble. That, of course, limits you, especially if you live in a remote area.
Once again, a VPN will give you a hand. Some virtual private networks provide GPS spoofing features that reliably change your whereabouts. When you choose a server in a specific location, dating apps like Tinder will think you are physically in a different place. Thus, you will be able to jump between regions, make new connections and meet interesting people without paying for a premium subscription.
If you want extra benefits, dating VPNs can help you:
- Unlock more streaming content. You can’t have a romantic night if you’re struggling to find something good to watch. Fortunately, a VPN can help you bypass geo-restrictions, so you’ll be able to explore extensive libraries of content on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or Disney+.
- Get cheaper plane tickets. Maybe you are planning to finally meet your date abroad or thinking about an exciting trip with your partner. In that case, a VPN can help you save on plane tickets. By hopping between regions, you can check the cheapest flights and book tickets from that location.
General cybersecurity rules on dating sites
While a VPN will keep cyber threats at bay, there are a few things you should do yourself to avoid calamities while using dating apps:
- Avoid sharing personal information. While you’re here to make connections, try not to overshare your personal information with strangers. One misstep and malicious actors can discover your real location and other valuable data.
- Don’t send money to a potential date. You have probably heard of an African prince who needs money to drown you in riches afterwards. Unfortunately, that is not true. When you send money, you risk revealing your financial information and could lose all your money.
- Reconsider linking your social media accounts. Their profiles are a treasure trove of information for hackers and snoopers. If you reveal too much, you could be tricked, harassed, or blackmailed.
- Google them. If you have any doubts about how legit the person you are chatting with is, you can do a reverse image search on Google. Hackers often use stolen photos of other people. So, doing some digging, you’ll probably find a link to someone else’s profile with a different name.
Online dating is exciting, but you have to be very careful no matter which app you use. There are many people out there looking to take advantage of you, your money, and your data. Therefore, using a VPN with dating apps is crucial as it can increase your security and privacy. On a less serious note, virtual private networks can also unblock dating sites that are not available in your country. Also, if you want to explore dating pools elsewhere, you can change your whereabouts with a VPN. So, get a virtual private network for online dating and avoid unpleasant surprises.